Welcome to Henfield CC Colts section
Henfield CC Colts caters for players of all abilities from the age of 5 upwards, and both boys and girls are welcome to join the Club. We have organised the Colts section into the following training squads for the 2017 season:
- All Stars Cricket: aimed at 5-8 year olds (i.e. Years R, 1, 2 and 3), this ECB-sponsored programme is designed to give children an introduction to cricket, with a focus on games, core ball skills and – most importantly – fun. Parents join in too!
- U9 and 10s (softball): more structured training based around league cricket matches played in a “pairs” format. This squad comprises of children from Years 4 and 5, and girls from Year 6. Both training and matches are played with a softball.
- U12s (hardball): an introduction to hardball cricket, based around league cricket matches played in a “pairs” format. This squad comprises of children from Years 6 and 7, and girls from Year 8. The focus is increasingly on tactics and teamwork.
- U14s (hardball): an introduction to limited overs league cricket for Years 8 and 9. We encourage players to begin to focus on their own development while still providing direction and guidance, and with continued emphasis on tactics and teamwork.
- Girls: we are working with Sussex CC to provide dedicated coaching for all girls from Year 4 upwards (i.e. those not involved in the All Stars programme). This coaching is in addition to the mixed training outlined above. Girls can choose to do either or both.
Training takes place at Henfield CC on Henfield Common;
Girls – Thursday afternoons from 5.00pm to 6.00pm
All Stars – Friday afternoons from 4:30pm to 5:30pm – starts Friday May 19th runs for 8 weeks
Under 9s and 10s – Friday afternoons from 4.30pm to 5.30pm – starts Friday April 21st runs to the end of July.
U12 and U14 – Friday evenings from 5.30pm to 7.00pm – starts Friday April 21st runs to the end of July.
The Pavilion will be open to parents during training, serving teas, coffees, drinks and snacks from the licensed bar. We also hold a BBQ every Friday evening offering locally sourced hot dogs and burgers.
League and Cup matches run from late April to the end of July at the following times:
- U9s: Sunday mornings, 9.30am to 11.30am (approximate finish)
- U10s: Saturday mornings, 9.30am to 11.30am (approximate finish)
- U12s: Monday evenings, 6.00pm to 8.00pm (approximate finish)
- U14s: Tuesday evenings, 6.00pm to 8.00pm (approximate finish)
All of the squads have also been entered into Festivals towards the end of the season:
- U9s: one-day festival on a Saturday at the end of July (TBC)
- U10s: a festival week in August (TBC)
- U12s: a festival week starting July 31st
- U14s: a festival week starting August 7th
A match fee of £3 per player applies and will be collected by the Team Managers.
Henfield CC, founded in 1771, is one of the oldest cricket clubs in the world. It plays its cricket on a beautiful ground on Henfield Common, at the south-east corner of the village. It is the ideal spot to watch your children learn the game, and to while away a warm evening.
As well as opening the bar and barbeque during and after training on a Friday, we run a series of events throughout the summer, including:
- A welcome evening for all children and parents on Friday 28th April (after training)
- Coaching from Sussex CC stars during Men’s 6-a-side competition on Sunday 28th May
- Junior ‘Big Bash’ Six Hitting competition on Friday [TBC]
- Henfield CC Summer Party on [TBC]
Membership and subscriptions
The All Stars Cricket programme is administered by the ECB. Parents are therefore encouraged to sign their children up at:
The programme costs £40 per child, and this includes a personalized backpack, bat, drinks bottle, cap, tee-shirt, etc. as well as unprecedented access to cricketing super-stars.
For membership of all the other squads, parents are asked to complete the membership form and pay annual subscriptions of £35 for the first child (£15 thereafter) at:
Each squad is coached by a qualified Level 2 coach, and administered by a dedicated Team Manager. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with any queries or suggestions.
|All Stars||Ben Helps||ECB email@example.com|
|U9||Nick Bandy||Esme Crowtherfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|U10||Matt Pound||Jo Mackinnonemail@example.com|
|U12||Mark Minchell||Tammy Garmstonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|U14||Philip Tremewan||Serena Gurneyemail@example.com|
For general enquiries, please contact Tammy Garmston, the Club’s Colts Liaison officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.