Welcome to Henfield CC Colts section
Henfield CC Colts caters for players of all abilities from the age of 5 upwards, and both boys and girls are welcome to join the Club. We have organised the Colts section into the following training squads for the 2018 season:
- All Stars Cricket: aimed at 5-8 year olds (i.e. Years R, 1, 2 and 3), this ECB-sponsored programme is designed to give children an introduction to cricket, with a focus on games, core ball skills and – most importantly – fun. Parents join in too!
- U9 and 10s (softball): more structured training based around league cricket matches played in a “pairs” format. These squads comprises of children from Years 4 and 5 respectively, and girls from Year 6. Both training and matches are played with a softball.
- U11s (hardball): an introduction to hardball cricket, based around league cricket matches played in a “pairs” format. This squad comprises of children from Years 6, and girls from Year 7. The focus is increasingly on tactics and teamwork.
- U13s and U14s (hardball): an introduction to limited overs league cricket for Years 7, 8 and 9. We encourage players to begin to focus on their own development while still providing direction and guidance, and with continued emphasis on tactics and teamwork.
- Girls: we are working with Sussex CC to provide dedicated coaching for all girls from Year 4 upwards (i.e. those not involved in the All Stars programme). This coaching is in addition to the mixed training outlined above. Girls can choose to do either or both.
All age ranges are based on the age of the child as at August 31st 2017.
Henfield Cricket Club is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable environment in which children can learn to play the game of cricket. Please follow the links for:
- Code of conduct, expected of all Members, Officers, guests and visitors that interact with the Colts Section
- Behavioural policy for training and match days
- Anti-bullying policy
Training takes place at Henfield CC on Henfield Common;
Girls – Friday afternoons from 5.30pm to 6.30pm
All Stars – Friday afternoons from 4:30pm to 5:30pm – starts Friday May 11th runs for 8 weeks
U9s and U10s – Friday afternoons from 4.30pm to 5.30pm – starts Friday April 20th runs to the end of July.
U11s, U13s and U14s – Friday evenings from 5.30pm to 7.00pm – starts Friday April 20th runs to the end of July.
The Pavilion will be open to parents during training, serving teas, coffees, drinks and snacks from the licensed bar. We also hold a BBQ every Friday evening offering locally sourced hot dogs and burgers.
The Club participates in the Southern Area Youth Cricket League (SAYCL), who organise League and Cup matches that run from late April to the end of July at the following times:
- U9s: Sunday mornings, 9.30am to 11.30am (approximate finish)
- U10s: Saturday mornings, 9.30am to 11.30am (approximate finish)
- U11s: Sunday mornings, 9.30am to 11.30am (approximate finish)
- U13s: Thursday evenings, 6.00pm to 8.00pm (approximate finish)
- U14s: Tuesday evenings, 6.00pm to 8.00pm (approximate finish)
There are also National Cup competitions for U9/10s, U13s and U15s during the course of the season, and all of the squads above will also be entered into Festivals towards the end of the season (w/c 27th Aug for U11, w/c 13th Aug for U13, w/c 6th Aug for U14).
Please follow the link for the Club’s selection guidelines for these age groups.
A match fee of £3 per player applies and will be collected by the Team Managers.
Henfield CC, founded in 1771, is one of the oldest cricket clubs in the world. It plays its cricket on a beautiful ground on Henfield Common, at the south-east corner of the village. It is the ideal spot to watch your children learn the game, and to while away a warm evening.
As well as opening the bar and barbeque during and after training on a Friday, we run a series of events throughout the summer. These include:
- Coffee Morning starting at 10am on Saturday 14th April at the Pavilion
- 70’s Disco starting at 8pm on Friday 27th April at the Pavilion
- Junior Big Bash starting at 5pm on Friday 13th July on the Common
- Colts Presentation Evening starting time TBC on Friday 7th September at the Pavilion
Membership and subscriptions
The All Stars Cricket programme is administered by the ECB. Parents are therefore encouraged to sign their children up at:
The programme costs £40 per child, and this includes a personalized backpack, bat, drinks bottle, cap, tee-shirt, etc. as well as unprecedented access to cricketing super-stars.
For membership of all the other squads, parents are asked to complete the membership form and pay annual subscriptions of £35 for the first child (£15 thereafter). This will be administered via the Teamer app.
Each squad is coached by a qualified Level 2 coach, and administered by a dedicated Team Manager. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with any queries or suggestions.
|All Stars||Ben Helps||Nicky Smithfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|U9||Nick Philips||Esme Crowtheremail@example.com|
|U10||Nick Bandy||Jo Mackinnonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|U11||Matthew Pound||John Morleyemail@example.com|
|U13||Mark Minchell||Tammy Garmstonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|U14||Philip Tremewan||Serena Gurneyemail@example.com|
For general enquiries, please contact Tammy Garmston, the Club’s Colts Liaison officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.