Dear All

Hope you are all well and safe. This is an update on Henfield CC and the effects of Covid-19. As you will appreciate, the situation is changing all the time but I will set out the current position as of today.

Finance (as an accountant, I always put finance first)

Whilst we have no income from subscriptions, match fees and the bar, I am happy to say that we’ve received a grant from Horsham Council and have applied for a further grant from the Sport England Community Emergency Fund. We have received several generous donations for which we are extremely grateful and a number of members have paid their annual subscriptions regardless of whether any cricket is played and we thank their generosity. Consequently, as spending is currently limited, our bank reserves are more than sufficient to see the club through this period.

I am of the opinion that the application to Sport England will be scaled down or rejected as we are not in dire need of funds but I will keep you informed.

200 Club

Conway has been promoting the 200 Club and I’m sure that many of you have been ‘persuaded’ to purchase a ticket. For those who are yet to buy a ticket, there are a few left – £20 each, a top prize of £500, 2nd prize £250 and 3rd prize £150, all profits to the club. If you wish to buy a ticket contact Conway at


Sussex Cricket League have pencilled in Saturday 4 July as the day we can start to play league cricket. However, the league are making it clear that this date is an aspiration rather than definite. We intend to gear up to start on this date until told otherwise. I expect there will be an adaptation of the rules to allow social distancing such as prohibiting the wicket-keeper to stand up to the stumps. We await guidance.

If the season starts on 4 July, a half season will be played but as yet there has been no decision as to whether there will be promotion and relegation.


As yet we have received no notification as to when or if colts cricket will commence although there is an intention at Sussex Cricket Foundation to run scaled down leagues or friendlies and the age group Festivals. Sussex Cricket Foundation are hoping to hold an on-line conference regarding Colts cricket in the near future and I will report back with any news.


At this stage there is no requirement for members to pay subscriptions however should cricket commence on 4 July then subscriptions will become payable and we would appreciate prompt payment. I will be in contact prior to this date to confirm either way. Should any member wish to pay their subscription regardless of whether any cricket is played, please contact me and I will forward bank details and rates as agreed at the AGM.


We have received ECB guidance regarding opening the nets to members (see link

Our intention is to open the nets for use by members from this Saturday, operating in accordance with ECB guidance. There are detailed rules that we as a club must follow and I will send details of the booking system and usage instructions that we will be putting in place in the next couple of days. The Pavilion will remain out of use for members.

I re-iterate that the above is subject to change but we are hoping that we may start the season shortly. If you have any queries, please contact me.


Michael Cleary
Henfield CC Secretary